The semester is over and just in time for mother’s day! I finally made it back to the Garden State (NJ) yesterday after a long and rainy car ride chock full of traffic and a broken air conditioner in the car. Gotta love road trips. Anyway so to thank my mother for making the long trip out to pick me up and help me pack up my things I decided it was worth waking up early to make her a special Mother’s Day breakfast. (Or it may have to do with the fact that I feel a teensy bit guilty for not getting her a real present…moving right along). Regardless of my reasoning, this french toast an awesome way to celebrate a day for your mom, or any occasion deserving of brunch/breakfast treats. I hope you all have a wonderful Mother’s Day! This french toast is definitely worth trying when you get the chance, no better way to make someone smile than with delicious food right? Besides, I’m hoping that breakfast in bed is going to earn me some mom brownie points ;).
Baked Blueberry French Toast
-1 loaf of challah bread cut into cubes (you can use any type of bread, I just prefer challah)
-1 tsp vanilla
-2 1/4 c almond milk (or any other kind of milk)
-Zest of 1 lemon
-1 1/2 c blueberries
-1 tsp cinnamon
-1/4 c brown sugar
1. Coat a 9×13 baking pan with non-stick spray (or butter)
2. Place a layer of bread cubes on the bottom of the pan and then top with a layer of blueberries
3. Repeat this twice. Feel free to scatter some extra blueberries on top of the final bread layer.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together the vanilla, milk, cinnamon, eggs, and lemon zest.
5. Pour the wet mixture over the bread and blueberries and refrigerate overnight. A couple of hours will probably work fine too (at least 3 or so).
6. Preheat oven to 350ºF
7. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the top of the french toast
8. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the top layer is golden brown.
9. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or use maple syrup to taste.